
I have never considered myself the type of person to carry around a gun. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with them. I grew up around them. I have gone target practicing and have them in my home for protection. But carry one around all the time?? While at a gun shop, at the gun counter, a woman looked at me with incredulity and asked me, "Why would you want to carry a gun with you." Because carrying a police officer would be to heavy!
I get text messages from the local media many times a day alerting me to some crime or another that is happening at places where normal citizens frequent. Places they expect to be safe, yet they weren't. These normal citizens blame the police for not stopping the crime, they blame the gun for causing the crime when in truth, if they had been armed they would not have been a victim.
While living in Texas I had the opportunity to meet Representative Suzanna Gratia Hupp on many occasions while lobbying for homeschooling rights. Representative Hupp is and was a concealed carry permit holder. One fateful day while she and her parents were dining in a restaurant (in which guns were not allowed) a mad man came in and calmly executed everyone he could get to. Suzanna watched her parents get executed while her gun was in her car. Unlike many people, she didn't blame the gun and seek more restrictions to take guns from those who need to protect themselves. She directed her anger at the legislation which took away her rights. She was not a politician; just a citizen who could not exercise her constitutional rights and that cost her her parents.
Suzanna has spent a majority of her life fight to protect the rights of others. She has written a book, which I intend to read, called, "From Luby's to the Legislature" which details her walk from childhood to that terrible tragedy at Luby's and finally to the legislature where her reputation is one of a fighter for the rights of her constituents. She is a staunch second amendment advocate and addresses how citizens should interact with the media and how to affect the law-making process. It is a book worth reading from a citizen worth listening to.
So, I carry a gun. I still have the right to protect myself and my family. I wonder how long that will last...
No comments:
Post a Comment